This year has undeniably been horrible for bitcoin (BTC) investors. But if it’s any comfort, some in the stock market have suffered even more.
While BTC is down about 52% year-to-date, a number of companies in the important S&P 500 stock index are in fact down significantly more over the same time period.
In descending order, these are the stocks in the S&P 500 that in terms of year-to-date performance have performed worse than BTC, per data from TradingView’s stock screener at the time of writing:
- Netflix (NFLX): down 71.8%
- Etsy (ETSY): down 67.4%
- Align Technology (ALGN): down 62.9%
- PayPal (PAYPL): down 60.9%
- Caesars Entertainment (CZR): down 57.6%
- Epam Systems (EPAM): down 57.5%
- Ceridian HCM Holding (CDAY): down 55%
- Moderna (MRNA): down 53.9%
- Bath and Body Works (BBWI): down 52.9%.
As can be seen, there are still some investors who are even more unlucky than bitcoin holders.
However, keep in mind that the S&P 500 does consist of 500 companies. And given that we could only find 9 companies that performed worse than BTC, it’s safe to say that most in the stock market have fared better than bitcoin investors this year.